top of page

 How you can support 

a dog in our care on a regular basis.

Spring Safety

We all love a colourful garden and flowers in our homes, especially after the grey Winter months. Some bulbs and plants are toxic to dogs, it's important to keep these away from your dog, does your dog dig in the garden?


Daffodils are poisonous to dogs if they eat the bulbs or flowers, or drink water from a vase with daffodils in.

They can give your dog an upset stomach, make them vomit, and make them very sleepy and wobbly. A dog that’s been poisoned by daffodils might also have fits.

Tulips can irritate your dog’s mouth and gastrointestinal tract. Normally they will only experience drooling, being sick and diarrhoea, but heart problems and difficulty breathing are also signs of tulip poisoning.


Other plants, flowers, fruit and vegetables listed below are poisonous to dogs. Those in bold are potentially fatal, so please take care to avoid these:

  • Apples (pips)

  • Apricots (kernel)

  • Azalea

  • Bluebells 

  • Buttercups

  • Cyclamen (root)

  • Daffodils/narcissus (blubs)

  • Elderberry

  • Foxglove (leaves and seeds)

  • Hyacinth (bulbs)

  • Ivy (whole plant)

  • Lupin (leaves, seeds)

  • Onion (causes anaemia)

  • Peach (stones and leaves)

  • Rhododendron

  • Rhubarb (leaves)

  • Sweetpea (stem)

  • Tulips

  • Wild cherry tree (twigs and foliage)

  • Yew (berries and foliage)

bottom of page